SoundHound is creating and productizing transformative technologies that improve life. Join us.
After amassing a global user community well over 265 million strong, a large portfolio of core technologies and award winning products....we're just getting started.
At SoundHound we value creativity, innovation, hard work, open communication and fast iteration, which allow us to act on valuable feedback from employees and users alike. SoundHound's culture is one of impromptu coffee breaks, less-impromptu fitness sessions, group lunches, and weekly happy hours.
We offer a competitive salary, SoundHound stock options, unique camaraderie, catered lunches, and the opportunity to call a company home that's simultaneously changing the way we discover music AND interact with machines. Yep, it's that cool.
The Principal Designer creates, plans, and executes high profile projects under limited direction from the Design Director. He/She is responsible for initiating, improving and maintaining existing and future projects and features, in addition to solving complex systemwide problems. He/She will regularly review work with the Design Director and Product Managers to get feedback on direction and work closely with Product Managers and Engineering Leads to address user and project requirements. As a team leader, he/she will communicate effectively with design, engineering, and product management staff, engendering trust and respect. The role requires that he/she communicates and upholds stakeholder expectations, and translates those issues as guidance to Designers on their team. The Principal Designer serves as a mentor, reviewing the work of other designers, providing feedback and assistance if needed.
- Conceptualize and brainstorm ideas for new or existing problems
- Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints
- Lead design decision-making related to focused project specifics
- Direct visual tone and aesthetics for new and existing UI
- Work with product managers, senior design staff, and engineering to determine design feasibility and discover issues
- Present hi-fidelity proposals to design, engineering, product teams and stakeholders
- Meet with Designer Director and Product Managers to give status on projects and address resource concerns
- Mentor and present educational topics to fellow designers and cross-functional team members
- 10+ years and/or portfolio equivalent designing and shipping/launching national campaigns, desktop and mobile applications, extensive HCI design experience
- BA, BFA, and/or Master’s in Design, HCI or other related design discipline
- Excellent collaborative and brainstorming skills
- Ability to deliver high quality work on tight schedules
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and/or other design applications
- Clear and concise communication and organization skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent ability to art direct and mentor designers
- Experience managing a medium scale team
- Good at presenting and “selling” the worth of ideas and influence decisions
- 7-10 years of experience designing delightful consumer-oriented mobile products
- Architect systemwide design solutions that satisfies both product and engineering requirements
- Experience in guiding stakeholders, engineers, and other designers through each step of the design process
- Develop and evangelize good design practices and values between cross-functional teams
- Excellent time management skills, work to deliver projects on time, mindful of other projects in the roadmap
How to Apply:
Send us your resume, electronic portfolio, and cover letter explaining why you belong at SoundHound.