Avegant is a well-funded, venture-backed consumer electronics company developing the next-generation of consumer wearables. We are pioneering innovative optical and software technologies that will forever change how we interact and engage with our environment and each other. We’ve won multiple awards for our flagship product, The Glyph, and our team is best in class. And this is only the beginning.
Avegant is about the journey of innovation, and we want to take you with us. If you think you have what it takes to be part of our multiple-award winning team, then come join us and be part of a company that is actually changing the future.
Avegant is seeking a Director Optical Engineering to contribute to its cutting-edge near eye display technology. This position will lead our optical design efforts and the development of our personal mobile theater product line, as well as grow a small team over time. You will work closely with the Mechanical, Hardware and Software Engineering teams, as well as Product Management. We are seeking an industry leader, game changer, and A-Player. You must be seasoned in optics or other lens systems, with a strong preference for experience in opto-electronics. This position is located in Belmont, CA and reports directly to the Vice President Product Development. This is not a remote opportunity. Avegant Corp. will consider relocation for a highly-seasoned candidate with a strong, successful reputation in the optics/opto-electronics industry.
- Act as the company leader in the area of optical engineering
- Design innovative optics for new near-eye display systems
- Work with mechanical and electrical design teams to prototype and evaluate new near-eye systems as well as bringing them up in a mass production manufacturing environment.
- Support operations as a primary technical resource on all optics issues ensuring manufacturability, cost effectiveness and high yield in a mass production environment
- Develop intellectual property and reduce it to practice in the company’s commercial products
- Provide an interface between the R&D optical design team and product design team
- Develop test procedures to evaluate optical performance of production optics and modules
- Remain up-to-date on new and emerging optical technologies, and their relevance to future product development.
- Some overseas travel may be required
- Bachelor’s Degree in physics, optical engineering, mechanical engineering or in a related field of study; graduate degree preferred
- 7+ years of experience designing custom optical systems
- Previous experience building and/or leading an optics team a strong plus
- Detailed theoretical understanding of optics and optical principles with a demonstrated ability to reduce them to practice
- Demonstrated ability to drive new designs from concept to prototype and onward to production
- Experience with plastic optical materials
- Understanding of opto-electronics a plus
- Understanding of diffractive optics a plus
- Strong proficiency with optical design software, Zemax experience a plus
- Proficiency with 3D CAD software, such as SolidWorks, a plus