We are Visual Meta, a successful and steadily growing web company, founded in 2009 and acquired by the Axel Springer Group in 2011. Operating from a great office in central Berlin, we run 14 online shopping portals worldwide under the brands LadenZeile, ShopAlike and UmSóLugar. We offer the professionalism of a big player and the company culture of a startup. Our vision? To become THE global service for comparison shopping.
How are we trying to achieve that? During the last years, we have been building a strong, international team. We deal with modern web technologies, large databases, millions of images, data mining and analysis, search technologies and machine learning. We code stuff that matters and reaches millions of people. We believe in lean and agile software engineering. Our technology stack is plain Java, MySQL, Hadoop, HBase, Spring, Eclipse, Elasticsearch and Tomcat.
Your mission at Visual Meta? As a “Java Engineer (m/f) - Backend Developer” you will play an important role in implementing and maintaining our product catalogs. You will be responsible for building and maintaining highly scalable backend services using modern tools and ensuring the best performance possible to support our product search.
- You build and maintain highly scalable backend services using modern tools and ensuring the best performance possible to support our product search
- You develop in-house tools and libraries
- You write tests and are responsible for reviewing code ensuring the best possible code quality
- You integrate and maintain developed services in production
- You hold a university degree in computer science or a related field
- You have proven development experience with Java and a good understanding of algorithms and their complexity
- You are familiar with search technologies such as Elasticsearch
- You are fluent in spoken and written English
- You have sufficient knowledge about data stores such as MySQL or HBase
- You have first experiences with build tools like maven as well as with CI servers such as jenkins
- You are eager to learn new technologies and to extend your knowledge
- You possess passion for beautiful and well tested code and you have an eye for simplicity and pragmatism
- You feature an analytical mindset with a kick-ass “getting things done” and hands-on mentality
- We code stuff that matters- Be part of our agile environment (Scrum), work with the latest technology and participate in regular tech-events (e.g. Hackathons, TechTalks)
- We love diversity- Our team contains over 50 nationalities
- We see your development as our priority- Profit from a structured onboarding process, internal and external training possibilities as well as room for further professional development
- We take responsibility- With us you have the option to become socially involved (e.g. charity lunch)
- We care for you- Benefit from a company pension plan, flexible working hours, 27 vacation days, healthy snacks and sport activities (yoga, soccer, volleyball)
- We enjoy spending time together- Join in for Friday beers, movie nights, team events, table football and ping-pong
Is this the job you are looking for?
Go ahead and submit your application in English including CV, salary expectations and your availability. As your responsible recruiter, <strongNikolina Dosen will be your point of contact.